- Consumer Reports Diet Rating Criteria:
- Overall Nutrition
- Balance of Calories from Fat, Carbs, and Protein
- Fiber and Sodium
- Weight Loss
1. Jenny Craig = 85
- Jenny Craig got major points for good overall nutrition, excellent very low dropout rates, and good overall long term weight loss. 92% of the participants stuck with the plan and had an average weight loss of 8% of their starting body weight after two years.
- Weight Watchers has a major study getting ready to come out so they may have scored higher if that data was out.
- Slim fast got a good score for overall nutrition and weight loss but had a very poor dropout rate.
- The Zone lost out on long term weight loss.
- Interestingly, Ornish and Atkins scored the lowest. These two diets are polar opposites – Ornish is too low in fat and Atkins is too high which is why they both lost points!
Assistant Professor, Nutrition Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham