Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Audacity of Baconnaise

Yesterday I stumbled upon Baconnaise on the internet. I’m not sure how or why. I had heard of Baconnaise – mainly from watching Jon Stewart eating it in a variety of combinations including pancakes and sausage. But I knew little about the product itself. So when I happened upon its website, I wondered, how bad could this stuff be? The name alone suggests an artery clogging, heart threatening menace. But upon reading the nutrition information, I found otherwise.
It turns out Baconnaise isn’t that much different than my beloved The Ojai Cook Lemonaise that I make a yummy salmon salad with at least once a week. It’s very low in saturated fat – only 1.5 grams per one tablespoon serving. That’s about 8% of the 20 gram a day limit. The cholesterol’s not that high either at 10 mg out of the 300 mg a day limit. The sodium is low as well at 85 mg of sodium out of the 2400 mg a day limit.

The moral of this story is don’t judge a food by its name. Always look at the label. I’m sticking with my Lemonaise for now but the next time I make a sausage and pancake sandwich, it’s Baconnaise all the way.
Beth Kitchin, MS, RD
Assistant Professor
UAB Department of Nutrition Sciences 

No comments:

Post a Comment